$250 for up to 2 hours
Join me to photograph the normally elusive Wood Duck at a location where they are numerous and very friendly. The Wood Ducks of Wissahickon Creek are generally habituated to people and will allow you to get very close to them. The males are one of the most beautiful and colorful ducks found in the area and watching the group that lives here can be very entertaining. You will usually get to photograph individuals, pairs and hopefully lots of interaction between the ducks. So reserve your spot now and spend a morning or afternoon learning how to photograph these amazing waterfowl.
- Lenses from 300mm to 600mm recommended
- I recommend a right angle (90 degree) viewfinder attachment which will help save your neck. It is not required however
- Morning outings you will have to arrive around 1 hour after sunrise, for afternoons 3 hours prior to sunset
- Wearing waterproof clothing can be beneficial as it can be wet and muddy along the banks of the creek.
What to Expect:
- Usually the ducks are hanging out in the area and will come to investigate when you arrive
- There are often many Wood Ducks as well as Canada Geese right in front of you so expect a lot of action and patience is required to isolate individual birds
- You can expect very close encounters of birds filling the frame
- If it's sunny a morning shoot will provide the option for backlit as well as side and occasionally front lit photos. An afternoon shoot will provide a mostly front lit scenario so choose your time based on the lighting you prefer
- If you choose an overcast day you can go anytime during daylight hours
What I will Provide:
- A waterproof mat for you to sit on to stay dry and clean if you do not have waterproof clothing
- A chair for you to sit comfortably if you do not want to lay down prone
- Suggestions on lighting conditions based on the weather that day as well as what style of lighting you prefer (front, side, back-lit)
- Tips and suggestions on how to photograph the Wood Ducks
- The cost of this outing includes up to 2 hours of photography but it's your choice if you want to stay that long.
You can view some photos I have taken of these Wood Ducks at Wissahickon Creek below. If you would like to book an outing click the "book this outing" button at the top and I hope to have you join me watching and photographing these beautiful and fun ducks.